Friday, March 25, 2011

Really? We NEED the rain?!!

I love eavesdropping on awkward conversations between strangers where neither person knows exactly what to say at the given moment but somehow feels compelled to say something anyway. Case in point: the checkout line at a grocery store.

Inevitably, the conversation in a checkout line is about the weather, at least these days when I feel like calling the SPCA to round up all the strays that keep pouring down. Cats and dogs? It has been raining more like Godzilla and King Kong.
Truly the remark that I love the most is, “Well, we need the rain!” after it has rained for 6 days straight with nothing but good ark-building weather in next week’s forecast too. Need the rain? With my faucets all working just fine before the heavy rains, that’s a tough sell at my house.


Sure, I'm thankful that, true to Scripture, "He sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous" (Matt. 5:45), but I'm just glad that God promised that the world-wide flood idea isn't a do-it-againer (Gen. 9:11)
Ah, well. Let’s look on the “bright side”, shall we (if and when the sun decides to shine)? If it’s true that April showers bring May flowers and Mayflowers bring Pilgrims, we’re in for a mighty good Thanksgiving this year.
Which is why I’m at the grocery store at all.

1 comment:

Toyin O. said...

Amen, I am always looking forward to some heavenly shower:)