Monday, March 28, 2011

Marital Bliss



Today marks 8 years of marriage to the sweetest, most Godly woman I know. Period. I used to tell her that I tricked her into marrying me since I couldn't accept that she would actually love the real me. But she does. And I'm still amazed. What a gift of God Katie is to me.

The word bliss is a strange word and I think ill-equipped to deal with the realities of a relationship that is functioning and mature. If ignorance is bliss then I don't want marital bliss. I'm loving getting to know more about Katie and how to love her every day.

Sure, "marital bliss" sounds a lot better than "marital blisters", but the truth is that I would rather have life-on-life friction (and love-on-love!) with this woman to whom I am married than some euphoric happiness fueled by ignorance or actual knowledge of the other at a soul level.

When disagreements arise or hurts happen (and they do!), we are motivated to find out where we have taken a shortcut, made a mistake, or how we can do better next time. Leaving problems unresolved is not an option. Since our wedding night, we have always made sure that we cleared things up with each other before going to sleep (see Ephesians 4:26).

As Katie and I have learned more and more about each other whether through hurts, blessings, or time, we have fallen more and more in love. As our mutual needs are revealed to the other, we also see how much more we are needed by the other. Our friendship deepens as a result and our love matures.

So, though she was my best friend 8 years ago, Katie is an even closer friend today. My lover, my supporter, the mother of my children, and my best friend.

I love you, Katie. Happy Anniversary.

2 comments:

Katie said...

Thank you sweetie! (sniff!) I love you!

Rachel said...

What a beautiful testimony of God's faithfulness! Thanks you for sharing.

~Rachel