Monday, November 26, 2007

Preaching review

Katie and the girls joined me for what turned out to be a delightful service at First Baptist Church of King City. About an hour and 45 minutes south of us on 101, King City is a town with a growing Hispanic population and with a very distinct small-town flavor.

Arriving at 10am, we checked the girls into the nursery, Katie joined an adult Sunday School class, and I spent some time in the pastor's study/church office.

The music was above average for a small church, with guitar, drums, and vocals under the leadership of their keyboardist, Steve. I officiated during communion, and then delivered the sermon. My text was 1 Peter 1:3-9 and I titled it "Time Trials". (Amy Choate, a lady I had recently hired at my previous church, sent me an encouraging note last week that included this text and, in addition to really ministering to me, I also felt that the Holy Spirit wanted me to use it as my text for King City.)

In this passage, Peter is encouraging believers to remember the "living hope" and "inheritance that can never perish, spoil, or fade" even though we have had to suffer for a little while. My question at the end was "How much time do you spend reflecting on the glory versus the grief?"

Thanks to those of you who prayed for me. I definitely felt God's presence and His Holy Spirit prompting me throughout the message. What a humbling thing to be used of Almighty God as His spokesperson to His people.

We were given a generous honorarium and taken to lunch by Steve and his wife before heading back home. A full day, but a productive one in which we certainly felt we were blessed.

No comments: