Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Alpha & Omega

Is Christmas your favorite time of year? It is for many people, but not for me.

Don't get me wrong--I love everything about the season, including the busyness and stillness, parties and presents, family and friends, candlelight and evergreen, and all the reminders of a savior born to us.

I'm one of those strange birds who likes to see Christmas pass, because I like the thought of another new year starting out. It is the potential of there being potential. The hope of there being hope. The dream of there being dreams, all in the new year.

Without the passing of one year, there cannot be the ushering in of the next. This is true of my kids, too, as Kade turns two December 30th. I must say goodbye to my little one year-old in order for me to see my two year-old. I can't have both simultaneously.

Jesus is the Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end (see Revelation 1:8, 11). He cares about your year's beginning and end. He wants to be there in your new year. When we say goodbye to 2012, will you go into this next year with regrets? Or with potential, hope, and dreams?

Some of the best times of my life have been when I've taken time alone with the Lord to start a year. The calendar belongs to you. Take a few moments and plan some time for those potential times with family to happen. Schedule a time for those hopes to come alive and those dreams to take shape.

I'm really a summer guy--but you already know that about me. So Christmas is a reminder of all the things I can't do at this time of year. But I can plan for this next year to be even more fruitful for Christ. What are your hopes and dreams for 2013?

No comments: