Thursday, January 3, 2008

Finding Money is More Than a Hobby

It's a challenge. A competition. From the day I first talked to Greg Boudreau about his daughter, Katie, I have been collecting money I find. He's been doing it for years, and gives the resulting sum to his wife, Joy. At the end of every year, we count up our stash and see who found the most money that year.

I've only beat him once.

This year would be different. I was off to a good start early in the year, finding a lot of quarters. Then I seemed to fizzle out into penny oblivion as the year went along. It would be close.

We settled down to counting around 8:45pm, after the girls had gone down for the night. I knew I was in trouble when I saw him counting his quarters. Uh-oh.

I ended up finding only five nickels, but I did find 14 quarters. Not enough to win, though. I finished the year with $7.44. Greg? He finished with $9.33. Oh, well. I already found a dime with Michaela at the airport today. I'll get him this next year.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So if we leave a trail of change will you come visit our house?
We promise to play hide the quarters and you can keep the change - does that count or is it cheating to have your friends plant the money you find? Good luck anyway.

Anonymous said...

What a neat idea... After having read this post, I decided to give it a try and do the same. So, a few days ago, while at the BART station, I thought "Why not stop by the change machine for a few seconds?" Lo and behold, I found no coins at all. However, I did find an unclaimed $5 bill lying on the floor. :-) So, Pastor Michael, as far as my coin collecting game, it seems like I'm off to an excellent start for the year! :-) Thanks to your nice little idea.

By the way, I stumbled upon your blog from another link. It was a nice surprise, as I remember seeing you and your brothers singing at a concert a few years ago. Maybe you still remember of an Indonesian Baptist Church around the Bay Area? It was there that I saw the concert.

May God continue to bless you and your whole family with His wonderful grace.

In His grace,

Jessica
My blog: pilgrimsprogress.net