Thursday, December 13, 2007

Texas, what are you THINKING?!!!

I'm writing this on the way home from a quick trip to Texas to help out some friends in ministry, and **YIKES!** am I glad to be headed back home!

No, I'm not a Texas hater. I'm just an observer. And as such, I am entitled to observe. I'm privileged to have been the first person in my family to hit all fifty states which, incidentally, Texas was one of them. No, really. It was.

No, I don't LOVE Texas. I love a lot of Texans, but don't LOVE Texas. If this statement offends you, you are a True Texan. So, how do I LOVE thee, sweet Texas? Let me count the ways:

1. Your highways and major roads are all named after presidents, trees, and numbers. And usually marked with those objects as well, instead of those cumbersome signs that other less-progressive states use. (Side note: I hate getting lost. Especially twice in the same trip. Thank you, Texas Department of Transportation. I'm setting out cookies and milk for you this Christmas Eve, because I believe you exist, in spite of overwhelming evidence to the contrary.)

2. Smoking is your State Habit.

3. Destinations are separated by hundreds of miles of nothingness for no apparent reason. (Note to my good friends at the TDT: Maybe plant a few treees every couple of miles. Eh?)

4. You think you are still the biggest state in the Union. Remember 1959? (Hint: Think cold.)

5. You think 5mph will make a difference at night, so you post TWO speed limit signs. One says the usual 70mph and looks like what normal Department of Transportations in other states put up. The other, directly below that one, is black with white writing (Oh, I get it! It looks like NIGHT!) and says Night Speed Limit 65. Are you kidding me? Glad we found such an effective way to save so many lives. Way to go again, TDT!

Enough said. I'll be home before I'm scarred any further. Thanks for the lovely time, Texas!

2 comments:

Stef said...

:-)

Anonymous said...

you're a tard. ;) Texas IS the biggest state in the union. Alaska doesn't count.