Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Tony Dungee's Squeeze Play: Fitting In Family Time

I absolutely love being a dad. I love the thrills, the spills, and even the doctor bills. It's all part of the package and I love it all. My wife talks about the time both girls were throwing up in the middle of the night and I insisted on cleaning it up. I told Katie, "This is what I love about being a dad."

No, I'm not crazy. I just love being needed by little people who love their daddy.

I just finished recording an upcoming episode for RE:CONNECT Podcast where I interviewed another youth pastor about spending time with your kids. I'm in Nashville for a few days, helping write some Bible study curriculum for students, so spending time with my kids involves phone calls and FaceTime video calls. I also took a couple of my kids' little stuffed animals with me and have been texting pictures of them on the plane, in my hotel room, etc.

I got an encouraging email today from someone whom I care about in my ministry, and it had a link to Tony Dungee's article called "Be a Kid With Your Kids." In the article, Dungee talks about how he's had to be creative in spending time with his kids around a busy schedule. The key for him has often been being willing to do what his kids want to do.

I know parents often feel that their lives are too busy to spend much time with their children, but I want to encourage other parents to redeem ordinary time as family time. For example, inviting older children to go grocery shopping with you just so you can talk, or have them bring their social studies flashcards with them when you get work done on the car.

It isn't giving up or giving in when you settle for little moments together when longer times as a family are not possible. It's simply acknowledging that family time is worth making time for, no matter what other events are on the schedule.

May God give us wisdom in redeeming the little moments, repurposing them for time spent with our families so that we may have an impact on our children for Christ. How are you fitting in family time?

No comments: